Orange Is the New Black begins its final bow on Friday, July 26th. Before we say farewell to one of Netflix’s first original series, let’s take a look back at some of the happier, uplifting moments from the first six seasons.
And to be very clear: this post comes with a SPOILER ALERT for the first six seasons!
1. Piper and Alex’s First Prison Kiss (Season 1, Episode 9 “F*cksgiving“)
Alex is one of the reasons Piper is in Litchfield, but despite their complicated past, they are drawn to each other … culminating in their first passion-fuelled prison kiss.
2. Norma Singing in the Christmas Pageant (Season 1, Episode 13 “Can’t Fix Crazy“)
In the Season 1 finale, a non-verbal Norma takes the spotlight at the Christmas pageant and sings “I Saw the Light” with the voice of an angel.
3. Taystee wins the Mock Job Fair (Season 2, Episode 2 “Looks Blue, Tastes Red”)
Some of the Litchfield inmates are selected to take part in a mock job fair, and Taystee completely steals the show. Not only does she win, she also lands a job working with Caputo.
4. Sophia’s Female Anatomy Lesson (Season 2, Episode 4 “A Whole Other Hole“)
When Sophia realizes most of her prison mates don’t know their own bodies, she gives them a lesson in female anatomy.
5. Poussey’s Definition of Love (Season 2, Episode 6 “You Also Have a Pizza“)
During an episode that takes place around Valentine’s Day, Poussey sums up the meaning of love in a simple, sweet and heartwarming way.
Add Wiretap to Chrome so you can relive these moments and watch the new season on Netflix with friends and fans, anywhere.
6. Miss Rosa Driving Away from the Prison (Season 2, Episode 13 “We Have Manners, We’re Polite“)
With death looming just ahead, Miss Rosa escapes in the prison van and before going out in a Thelma & Louise blaze of glory, she also takes out the villainous Vee.
7. Lorna Marries Vince (Season 3, Episode 13 “Trust No Bitch“)
If we had any idea that Lorna was still holding a torch for Christopher, her wedding to Vince Muccio squashed those notions. They may not have lived happily ever after, but it was a moment of joy in the Season 3 finale.
8. The Escape to the Lake (Season 3, Episode 13 “Trust No Bitch“)
In the Season 3 finale, the elusive chicken appears again and points the women in the direction of a hole in the prison fence. They end up at a lake where everyone enjoys a few moments of joy as they splash around, and Cindy completes her conversion to Judaism.
9. Caputo Singing Springsteen to Fig (Season 6, Episode 7 “Changing Winds“)
The last couple we expected to be rooting for is Caputo and Fig. After he serenaded her with “I’m On Fire” and made her his Courteney Cox, our minds were changed about Natalie and Joe.
10. Piper and Alex’s Wedding (Season 6, Episode 13 “Be Free“)
The Season 6 finale included two major moments for Piper Chapman: her early release, and her wedding to Alex!
What is your favourite Orange Is the New Black moment to date? Let us know by sharing it in the comments below.
And if you need a refresher of Seasons 1 through 6 before Friday’s final season drops on Netflix, here’s a video recap:
Videos and photos courtesy of Netflix